Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Or so she says...The Bully at School

I have to pass this along.
Mariel over at "Or so she says...." has posted a great blog: The Bully at School. This really touched my heart because I was very shy in grade school and was bullied quite a bit. She really gives some good advice on how to deal with your child being bullied. Even if they are not, she gives tips on how to teach your child to not bully and stand up for others.
It is my worst fear that my boy will be as shy as I was and have a hard time in school. By following these tips, I hope to help him along the way.

EVERY PARENT:
1. Talk to your child about BEING A LEADER and not a follower.
2. Teach them to NOT ACCEPT bullying in their group of friends.
3. Teach them that it is RIGHT to stand up for somebody being picked on.
4. Teach them that it is kind and good to SEEK OUT those that aren't being included, and include them in activities, the lunch room, parties, etc.
5. Tell them it is RIGHT to report bullying to the teachers.
6. Teach them it's MORE IMPORTANT to do what's right than to be popular.
7. ASK THEM about their friends and how they treat others.
8. TELL THEM about how bullying and having no friends can affect children.
9. SHOW THEM by example how to be considerate and thoughtful of others feelings.
10. KNOW the signs of bullied children and be open-minded that YOUR child might be the bully.
* NEVER DO NOTHING! *

2 comments:

Mariel said...

Thanks, Melissa!

I too was very shy and it's a hard thing for kids, isn't it? Some things I am doing for my kids while they are young is making sure they spend a lot of time with other people. I let them have sleepovers at their grandparents. We plan lots of get togethers with friends and family. I think it helps my kids get used to being around others. I also think it's important to help your child discover their gifts and talents. I used to think I wasn't good at anything because I didn't play sports or sing...the two most important things in the school. It wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered the talents I have. I wish I could have found out some of those things sooner...to help me realize I was unique and had something to offer the world. I also think it's good just to impress on your kids that it's perfectly fine that some people won't like you. It's like a "treasure hunt" to find good friends. I think kids are really hard on themselves is someone doesn't like them...but, they don't realize that it's the way it is for everyone! it's normal! we just have to find our friends by being ourselves and being a good friend.

Thanks for letting me rant again.

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I am afraid I see bullying alot! Kids can be so very cruel!
Parents are the key. Teach you child to care about all kids. Teach them it is alright to tell if they are being bullied! Teachers can't stop the bullying if they don't know about it.
Melissa, I didn't know you were bullied in school. I knew you were shy, but didn't see the bullying! Teach you kids to tell!
Love,
Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...