Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ethan's Square

Ethan is really good about staying back when I open the oven door. Sometimes I don't even have to tell him to stay back, he just does. It's a different story when I cook on top of the stove. I think it's because he can't see what I'm doing and he wants to know.

Yesterday I was pan frying and didn't want him to get too close to the stove when I took the splash guard off the pan. He was having trouble staying away so I thought I would make it easier for him to visualize his boundary. Did he stay in the square? No. But it did help him understand what I wanted him to do. Every time he started inching closer to me I moved him back to his box. He even sat inside of it once without me telling him too!

As you can tell by the pic, he was happy after I was done cooking!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

smart and cute!
Mom

Brandy@YDK said...

ooh smart. I don't think Grayson would fall for it. He hates when I cook. he just hangs on to my leg and whines.

Carly said...

That is such a Great Idea!

Vicki said...

Some moms use a training techniques like this called "blanket training". Starting with 5 minutes and lots of encouragement, they teach the baby to sit on a blanket with a couple of small toys for up to 30 minutes. People who do it say it's wonderful for cooking, visiting people with lots of breakables (briefly), airports, changing the new baby's diaper or taking a child to the potty (or using it yourself) while knowing where baby is. And a blanket is so portable! I have never done it but think it would have been a very good idea. It probably sets a good foundation for self-control, too, which so many of us find ourselves in need of as adults!!

GrapeApe said...

Very clever, Sis!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...