I have to pass this along.
Mariel over at "Or so she says...." has posted a great blog: The Bully at School. This really touched my heart because I was very shy in grade school and was bullied quite a bit. She really gives some good advice on how to deal with your child being bullied. Even if they are not, she gives tips on how to teach your child to not bully and stand up for others.
It is my worst fear that my boy will be as shy as I was and have a hard time in school. By following these tips, I hope to help him along the way.
1. Talk to your child about BEING A LEADER and not a follower.
2. Teach them to NOT ACCEPT bullying in their group of friends.
3. Teach them that it is RIGHT to stand up for somebody being picked on.
4. Teach them that it is kind and good to SEEK OUT those that aren't being included, and include them in activities, the lunch room, parties, etc.
5. Tell them it is RIGHT to report bullying to the teachers.
6. Teach them it's MORE IMPORTANT to do what's right than to be popular.
7. ASK THEM about their friends and how they treat others.
8. TELL THEM about how bullying and having no friends can affect children.
9. SHOW THEM by example how to be considerate and thoughtful of others feelings.
10. KNOW the signs of bullied children and be open-minded that YOUR child might be the bully.
* NEVER DO NOTHING! *