Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Grandma's Cake

UPDATE: Mom tells me that this recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter milk. I guess Grandma forgot to tell me about that one! This should make it more moist. For those of you who know my Grandmother, you know she is a great cook and rarely divulges her secret recipes. I think this is for a few reasons; one of them being she doesn't know the amount of each ingredient she puts in! If you ask her "Grandma, what do you put into this cake?" she will answer "Oh, a little flour and a little sugar and an egg or two"!! Well, that's not always everything that goes in.



When I was there in November I finally got her to give me the correct (or as correct as she could remember) recipe to her wonderful cake that she makes. This is the second time I have made it. It's not as good as she makes, of course, but good non the less.



I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I shared it with you.

Cake:
Melt 1 cup of Crisco with 1 cup of water. If you want your cake to be chocolate add some cocoa into this while you melt the Crisco.

2 cups of Flour

2 cups of sugar

1 tsp baking soda

dash of salt

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

I forgot to add the vanilla:( It wasn't as moist as Grandma's but still good. I made a Strawberry Syrup to go on top and we ate it with ice cream. Yummmmy

Strawberry Syrup:

5 or 6 strawberries- I used frozen ones

2 cups of sugar- I think that's how much I used. I used about a cup and then it wasn't sweet enough so I added more.

ground ginger- I just bought some today and had to use it! It gives the syrup a kick.

1/2 cup of water

Heat the above until boiling.

Add corn starch to thicken- Remember: when you are using corn starch to thicken dissolve it in COLD water before adding it slowly to your boiling sauce. I always have to add it twice because it is never thick enough the first time I do it.

Do I sound like Grandma? A little of this, a little of that.......

My mission is to get at least 1 new recipe from her every time I visit. Last time I was there I got the recipe for her yeast rolls. I will attempt those soon. If any of you have a recipe of Grandma's please email it to me so I can try it out. Enjoy!

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...