Wednesday, July 22, 2009

White Sugar Cookies


This recipe comes from a book I "borrowed" from my mother. It is called: A book of Favorite Recipes. Compiled by The Women's Association of the First Presbyterian Church, Hometown, OK, 1970.



I love this cookbook. Please, Mom, now that you know I have it, don't ask for it back!






White Sugar Cookies- Dolores
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter/I used crisco
1/2 c margarine
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Mix in order given, add flour sifted with soda and cream of tartar. Roll in balls. Dip in sugar and flatten with glass to make quite thin. Finely crushed pecans may be added.

*This woman cooks like my Grandmother! She doesn't tell you how high or how long to cook them. So I cook them around 350 for about 7mins or until the bottom start to get brown and the top is still white. Don't over cook them! They taste better soft. In fact if you take them out a little under done and let them cool on the pan for a bit, they will be perfect. I used parchment paper under mine. Cool on a cooling rack.

My new favorite ingredient is ground ginger. I have been trying it in everything. I added a little to these and there is just a hint of flavor. Next time I will add a lot more. I also doubled the recipe. There's always room for cookies!

Eli says these are awesome! And we've almost eaten them all.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may have this cookbook with my blessings. It is a very good cookbook and I am expecting you to cook for me out of it. Ha! Mom

Unknown said...

Sure thing! Thanks Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...